What Are Soil and Water Conservation Districts?

Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs) are legally defined as subdivisions of state government, but they function as local units.  In Oregon, there are 45 SWCDs working to put conservation efforts on the ground.  The results include cleaner water, improved crop land, pastures, forests and restored wildlife habitat.

Where do I pay my water bill?

BSWCD has nothing to do with your water bill. However, if you are looking for the office where you can pay your water utility bill, it is located at 500 SW Madison Avenue (at the southwest corner of 5th and Madison) in downtown Corvallis. Or you can pay online by visiting this website.

If you live in rural Benton County, you can find out about your bills by visiting the Benton County Public Works Utilities and Service Districts pages.

Where can I get my water tested?

Use a certified laboratory to have your water tested. Testing generally costs between $20 and $100. Contact the Oregon Department of Human Services Drinking Water Program or download a current list of accredited labs at: www.CorvallisOregon.gov/WaterTesting. You can get more information from EPA’s Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791 or at www.epa.gov/safewater/lead.

Where can I get my soil tested?

OSU Small Farms has a great webpage with information about soil testing. Or, you can get involved with the Soil Quality Project and have your soil assessed.